April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month
CASA Awarded TWO new Grants
(November 14, 2019) CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) of Mercer and Burlington Counties received a $25,000 grant from The Princeton Area Community Foundation’s Fund for Women and Girls.
The Princeton Area Community Foundation’s Fund for Women and Girls has awarded $186,000 in grants to 13 local nonprofits to fund programs that serve economically vulnerable women and children.
“The Fund for Women and Girls is comprised of individual members who engage in collective philanthropy and grantmaking,” said Cathy Schaeder Batterman, Fund Co-Chair. “Thanks to the generosity and commitment of our Fund members, we have awarded more than $400,000 in grants to over three dozen nonprofits in the last three years.”
Nonprofit representatives, Fund members, and their guests gathered at the Fund’s Annual Grantmaking dinner. Representatives from six finalist organizations gave short presentations about their programs, and Fund members voted to determine how to distribute the grants.
“Because we combine our financial contributions, we are able to award large, single and multi-year grants to organizations that improve the lives of the most vulnerable women and children in our community,” said Karen Collias, Fund Co-Chair.
CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) of Mercer and Burlington Counties, based in Ewing, received 1-year grants of $25,000. The grant provides training for CASA volunteers, who are appointed by the Family Court, to advocate for young children who have been removed from their homes because of abuse or neglect. Some 47 percent of new referrals to the agency are for children ages 0-5; special training of volunteers is necessary to properly assess the needs of these often non-verbal children.
(December 5 2019) In early December the Lawrence Township Community Foundation (LTCF) provided CASA of Mercer and Burlington Counties with a grant of $2,500 to fulfill its mission to train and supervise community volunteers. CASA’s dedicated volunteers strive to ensure the emotional, physical and educational well-being of these children while they reside in foster homes or residential facilities. The ultimate goal of CASA volunteers is to help establish a safe, stable and permanent home for each child.
Since its inception in 2002, the LTCF has provided over $1,000,000 in grant funding for more than 50 local nonprofit organizations who serve the people of Lawrence Township. Operating with a completely volunteer board of directors, the LTCF serves as a careful clearinghouse for funds donated by corporate sponsors who have entrusted this significant funding to the Foundation.
The Board works to carefully screen project proposals and award grants as appropriate in two cycles, spring and fall. Continued funding from our main sponsor, Bristol Myers Squibb, and two key sponsors, Educational Testing Service and The Lawrenceville School, along with local individuals making personal donations, allows the LTCF to provide grants to nonprofit groups supporting important and innovative programs serving Lawrence Township residents.
- CASA releases RFP for auditing firm June 2, 2020 - CASA has released an RFP for an auditing firm to conduct our annual audit for a period of three years. Details can be found here. ... Read more
- The New Jersey Virtual Challenge June 1, 2020 - CASA AND COMPUSCORE ARE TEAMING UP To Help Children in Foster Care Join us for THE NEW JERSEY VIRTUAL CHALLENGE PRESENTED BY COMPUSCORE This 100+ mile virtual RUN takes place between MAY 15TH and JULY 15TH Race Fees range from $30-$65 Run the equivalent length of The NJ Turnpike (117 miles) or Garden State Pkwy (172 miles) Other options are also available Proceeds benefit CASA's programs serving local children in foster care For race information or to register, visit CompuScore:… ... Read more
- Important notice about Covid-19 March 16, 2020 - CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties continues to monitor the rapidly changing situation around COVID-19. Our commitment to our children remains as strong as ever and we are in regular contact with our Advocates, and State and Community Partners. To ensure that we take all prudent measures for the health of our employees and the community we serve, beginning Tuesday, March 17th our Burlington and Mercer County offices will be closed to the public. Staff will work remotely and… ... Read more
- Aging Out Youth Seminar May 29, 2019 - CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties held its annual Aging Out Youth Seminar in November 2018. The event was chaired by Simone Jarvis, an advocate supervisor from our Burlington office. The seminar focuses on the 14-21 year old population of youth in the child welfare system. For our 2018 event, CASA collaborated with the Division of Child Protection and Permanency, Mercer County Children in Court, Burlington County Children in Court and Rutgers University Child Advocacy Clinic to offer… ... Read more
- CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties Explores Training on the Nurtured Heart Approach to Improve the Well-Being of Children in Foster Care August 31, 2018 - CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties is making plans to introduce new training courses available to its 248 trained adult volunteers by sponsoring Laura Fitzgerald, Ph.D., Director of Training and Evaluation to complete The Nurtured Heart Approach (NHA). More than a parenting or educator behavior management strategy, NHA consists of a set of strategies that assists children in further developing their self-regulation and has been effective with children of all ages, especially those with behavioral challenges. It focuses… ... Read more
- CASA Reinforces Protecting Our Kids Across 19 Towns for National Night Out August 7, 2018 - In a strong showing of support for safe kids and safe communities, CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties mobilized volunteers, staff and trustees to participate in the 2018 National Night Out across 19 towns on August 6 & 7. The annual event, organized by police departments on the first Tuesday of August, offer CASA a chance to connect with thousands of neighbors in a single evening to recruit more volunteers to speak up in family court on behalf… ... Read more
- Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority at Princeton University Donates Winnings from Powder Puff Tournament to CASA for Children of Mercer & Burlington Counties June 29, 2018 - For more than 25 years, the national philanthropic project of Kappa Alpha Theta and Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation has been Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA). Both college and alumnae chapters host events throughout the year to support their state and local CASA organizations. Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority gives to CASA in many ways: As thoughtful advocates, committed volunteers and generous donors. Every year the Princeton Panhellenic Council puts on a Powderpuff tournament between the three sororities at Princeton University: Kappa… ... Read more
- Statement Regarding Separation of Children and Parents During the Immigration Process June 21, 2018 - For nearly 40 years the National Court Appointed Special Advocate Association (National CASA) has advocated for the best interests of children who have experienced abuse or neglect. One of our guiding principles is that children are better off when they remain with their families of origin if safely possible. We also know the long-term effects of trauma that children experience when they are separated from their parents, which are most often detrimental to their well-being and can have long-term negative… ... Read more
- Church & Dwight Employees Volunteer Day June 4, 2018 - CASA welcomed 15 employees from Church & Dwight in Princeton for a fun afternoon of volunteering to brighten the lives of children in the foster care system. The Church & Dwight volunteers chose CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties during a “week of service” to help kids in the local community who are in need of essential items and services. The enthusiastic volunteers, who are chemists or technicians by profession, divided into small teams to create a dozen… ... Read more
- Appreciating CASA’s Compassionate and Dedicated Volunteers May 15, 2018 - More than 60 volunteers, staff, family court judges and board members attended the 2018 Burlington County CASA Appreciation Awards dinner at Casamari in Burlington, NJ on May 15. CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties is celebrating the volunteers with years-of-service pins and certificates. This year a special service award was established in memory of Eileen Fralinger, a dedicated CASA volunteer who passed away in November 2017. Eileen’s daughter, Erin Fralinger, and sister, Lorraine Reilly, accepted the plaque in… ... Read more
- Voice of Business Awards Reception and Ceremony April 30, 2018 - CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington County was the 2018 recipient of the Community Enrichment Award at the Voice of Business Awards Reception and Ceremony on April 30 at the Merion in Cinnaminson, NJ. This award recognizes a non-profit organization or agency that makes Burlington County a better place by making a positive impact on the lives of Burlington County residents. The recipient demonstrates specific examples of its far-reaching commitment to the community. Katherine Carmichael, Executive Director, CASA for… ... Read more
- Pinwheels for a Purpose April 18, 2018 - CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties planted pinwheel gardens this spring to highlight the children in out-of-home placement who have a CASA volunteer speaking up in their best interests. The pinwheel gardens are part of a national movement to highlight the thousands of children across the Nation who are in foster care at any given time. ... Read more
- 2018 Mercer County Advocate Appreciation Awards April 9, 2018 - More than 50 volunteers, staff, family court judges and board members attended the 2018 Mercer County Advocate Appreciation Awards dinner on April 9 at Mercer Oaks Clubhouse in Hamilton Township on April 9. CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties is celebrating the volunteers with years of service pins and certificates. The awards dinner was a wonderful evening to recognize the tireless work of volunteers who are the consistent adult in children’s lives while in out-of-home placement. The evening… ... Read more
- Child Sexual Abuse Awareness and Prevention with Sasha Joseph Neulinger April 4, 2018 - Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties hosted a public presentation with Sasha Joseph Neulinger, actor, filmmaker and survivor of child sexual abuse at The College of New Jersey in Ewing. Sasha is a national advocate for reforms in child abuse and child abuse prevention. The statistics are alarming: one out of four girls and one of out of six boys are sexually abused before they are 18 years old. Sasha Joseph Neulinger shared his… ... Read more
- Get to Know CASA and Meet Guillermo February 8, 2018 - CASA, court appointed special advocates, is a group of community volunteers who have been appointed by the family court and have undergone training. These volunteers all have a similar interest of advocating for abused and neglected children that have been removed from their homes. The Family Court Judges delegate each child to a CASA volunteer where they then aim to maintain their emotional, physical, and educational well-being by monitoring where they are placed. Volunteers stay with each case until it is closed… ... Read more
- SAVE THE DATE: CASA Plans Red Shoe Gala to Help Foster Kids in Mercer & Burlington Counties January 3, 2018 - On Saturday evening, March 24, 2018, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties will host our 17th Anniversary Red Shoe Gala to benefit our program serving over 350 children in out-of-home placement in our combined counties. Our gala in at Cobblestone Creek Country Club in Lawrenceville features a cocktail hour, silent and live auction, dinner and some fabulous musical entertainment. Last year’s gala was a huge success and we intend to make this year’s event even… ... Read more
- CASA Receives Grant From the Employee Giving Fund of Church & Dwight November 3, 2017 - Terri Cardulla presented CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties with a generous grant from the Employee Giving Fund at Church and Dwight of Ewing, NJ at the organization's fall fundraiser in Moorestown, NJ on November 3, 2017. L-R: Alison Lorenz, CASA Volunteer; Roseann Vanella, CASA Board President; Terri Cardulla, Category and Shopper Insights Manager; Katherine Carmichael, CASA Executive Director; and Deena Betze, Esq., CASA Board of Trustees. ... Read more
- CASA Receives Nonprofit Grant From Princeton Regional Chamber of Commerce November 1, 2017 - The Princeton Regional Chamber of Commerce awarded CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties a $10,000 grant for the fostering futures program to help youth on the pathway to adulthood and stability. Katherine Carmichael, Executive Director accepted the check at the monthly luncheon on November 2, 2017 from Kristin Apelget. ... Read more
- Congratulations to CASA Volunteer Dean (Shawn) Hagemann, Winner Of The 2015 Cherish The Child Program Award! October 13, 2015 - Dean has been a CASA Volunteer since 2009, and is currently working on his 6th case. His enthusiasm and tireless efforts to make a better life for each child he has served make him a true gift to our program. Congratulations Dean, and thank you! To read more about Dean and his efforts, click here. ... Read more
- title October 10, 2014 - COMEDY NIGHT FORM 2018 ... Read more
- CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties was featured on the front page of The Times of Trenton! February 10, 2014 - Check out the article here, featuring our incredible advocates William Dredge and Barbara Hairston, case supervisor Teri Triano-Davis, and Executive Director Lori Morris. Be sure to share the article with your friends and family to spread the CASA mission! CASA volunteers of Mercer County find stabilizing a child's life very rewarding ... Read more
Earlier News Stories
A CASA Volunteer Helps Twins Find a Home
Burlington County Times
Business Spotlight: CASA for Children of Mercer and Burlington Counties
South Jersey Magazine